• Happy Thanksgiving from the North Georgia Health District! Our district offices in Dalton will be closed Thanksgiving Day and Friday, November 23 and 24. All our Public Health Departments and services in Cherokee, Fannin, Gilmer, Murray, Pickens and Whitfield Counties will also be closed both days. Best wishes from us to you for a healthy and safe holiday!

Public Service Announcements

AVOID CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING DURING EMERGENCIES

Safety Tips from the CDC

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death if inhaled. When power outages occur during emergencies such as hurricanes or winter storms, the use of alternative sources of fuel or electricity for heating, cooling, or cooking can cause CO to build up in a home, garage, or camper and to poison the people and animals inside.

 

Every year, more than 400 people die in the U. S. from accidental CO poisoning.


Exposure to CO can cause loss of consciousness and death. The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. People who are sleeping or who have been drinking alcohol can die from CO poisoning before ever having symptoms.

 

Important CO Poisoning Prevention Tips

 

  • Never use a generator, pressure washer, or any gasoline-powered engine inside your home, basement, or garage or less than 20 feet from any window, door, or vent.

  • Never use a gas range or oven to heat a home.

  • Never leave the motor running in a vehicle parked in an enclosed or partially enclosed space, such as a garage.

  • Never run a generator, pressure washer, or any gasoline-powered engine inside a basement, garage, or other enclosed structure, even if the doors or windows are open, unless the equipment is professionally installed and vented. Keep vents and flues free of debris, especially if winds are high. Flying debris can block ventilation lines.

  • Never use a charcoal grill, hibachi, lantern, or portable camping stove inside a home, tent, or camper.

  • If conditions are too hot or too cold, seek shelter with friends or at a community shelter.

  • If CO poisoning is suspected, move to outside air, call 911 or your local Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 or consult a health care professional right away.

 

Businesses can help ensure your customers’ safety by placing important information about protecting oneself from CO poisoning in the direct vicinity of generators they are selling.

POWER OUTAGES AND ELECTRICAL DANGERS

Safety Tips from the CDC

 

  • NEVER touch a fallen power line.

  • Do not drive through standing water if downed power lines are in the water.

  • If you believe someone has been electrocuted, call or have someone else call 911 or emergency medical help.

  • After a hurricane, flood or other natural disaster you need to be careful to avoid electrical hazards both in your home and elsewhere.

  • Never touch a fallen power line. Call the power company to report fallen power lines.

  • Avoid contact with overhead power lines during cleanup and other activities.

  • Do not drive through standing water if downed power lines are in the water.

 

If a power line falls across your car while you are driving, stay inside the vehicle and continue to drive away from the line.

 

  • If the engine stalls, do not turn off the ignition.

  • Warn people not to touch the car or the line.

  • Call or ask someone to call the local utility company and emergency services.

  • Do not allow anyone other than emergency personnel to approach your vehicle.

    If electrical circuits and electrical equipment have gotten wet or are in or near water, turn off the power at the main breaker or fuse on the service panel.

  • Do not enter standing water to access the main power switch.

  • Call an electrician to turn it off.

    Never turn power on or off yourself or use an electric tool or appliance while standing in water.

  • Do not turn the power back on until electrical equipment has been inspected by a qualified electrician.

  • All electrical equipment and appliances must be completely dry before returning them to service.

  • Have a certified electrician check these items if there is any question.

    If you see frayed wiring or sparks when you restore power, or if there is an odor of something burning but no visible fire, you should immediately shut off the electrical system at the main circuit breaker.

    Consult your utility company about using electrical equipment, including power generators.

  • Do not connect generators to your home's electrical circuits without the approved, automatic-interrupt devices.

  • If a generator is on line when electrical service is restored, it can become a major fire hazard and it may endanger line workers helping to restore power in your area.

    If you believe someone has been electrocuted take the following steps:

  • Look first. Don't touch. The person may still be in contact with the electrical source. Touching the person may pass the current through you.

  • Call or have someone else call 911 or emergency medical help.

  • Turn off the source of electricity if possible. If not, move the source away from you and the affected person using a non-conducting object made of cardboard, plastic or wood.

  • Once the person is free of the source of electricity, check the person's breathing and pulse. If either has stopped or seems dangerously slow or shallow, begin cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) immediately.
  • If the person is faint or pale or shows other signs of shock, lay him or her down with the head slightly lower than the trunk of the body and the legs elevated.
  • Don't touch burns, break blisters, or remove burned clothing. Electrical shock may cause burns inside the body, so be sure the person is taken to a doctor.

Measles Questions & Answers for Parents and Caregivers

50 years since the introduction of the measles vaccine, we are reminded that although measles was declared eliminated from the U.S. in 2000, the disease is still commonly transmitted in many parts of the world. Because measles continues to be brought into the U.S. by unvaccinated people who get infected while overseas, high vaccine coverage is critical for preventing measles cases and outbreaks, and protecting infants who are too young to get vaccinated. Read more below, and check with your health care provider to make sure your child is up-to-date on his or her vaccinations!

Measles_Facts_1_for_web.png

Read More on Page 2. . .

Read more ...

Know these TB Facts from the CDC

Tuberculosis_-_Fact_Sheet-1_for_web.jpg

Read More on Page 2. . .

Read more ...

Gilmer Drive-By Flu Shot Clinic is Oct. 3!

THE FASTEST, SAFEST AND MOST CONVENIENT WAY TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM THE FLU THIS SEASON IS TO COME TO GILMER COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT’S DRIVE-BY FLU SHOT CLINIC ON THURSDAY, OCTOBER 3RD! DRIVE-BY FOR YOUR FLU SHOT ANYTIME ON THE 3RD FROM 8:00 A.M. THROUGH 4:00 P.M. AT THE FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH OF ELLIJAY AT 75 MCCUTCHEN STREET IN ELLIJAY. REGULAR SEASONAL FLU SHOTS ARE TWENTY-TWO DOLLARS AND HIGH DOSE FLU SHOTS FOR PEOPLE AGES 65 AND OLDER ARE FIFTY DOLLARS. CASH, CHECKS, MEDICARE, MEDICAID AND AETNA, BLUE CROSS/BLUE SHIELD, STATE CIGNA AND STATE UNITED HEALTHCARE INSURANCE WILL BE ACCEPTED. CALL 706-635-4363 FOR MORE INFORMATION. BEAT THE FLU BUG THIS SEASON – GET YOUR SHOT AT THE DRIVE-BY FLU SHOT CLINIC IN ELLIJAY!

travel-safe

scores
Career Center
North Georgia WIC   DPH CDC